Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Mornings With My Daughter

My wife and I have decided that our 6 year old daughter is a morning person. It is when she is most alert.

It is also when she has her best material.

Last week I woke up tired, opened the door of the bedroom and stumbled out of the room, not ready for the day. There was my daughter sitting on the floor. She looked up at me with a blank face and said with a perfect monotone:

I. AM. A. ROBOT.

Under the circumstances, I'm not sure what prevented me from going back to bed and trying again later.

This morning, I overheard the following dialog between my wife and daughter:
Mother: It's time to get up.
Daughter: I'm not getting up--it's cold.
Mother: If you get up, you can dress in something warmer.
Daughter: It's winter!
Mother: It's not winter, it's spring.
Daughter: It's winter...and I'm hibernating!
My daughter watches Disney movies. I think I can trace the hibernating remark to Bambi (Flower the skunk hibernates), but I'm not sure about the first one.

The first time she started using Disney in her 'routine' was when we got her an umbrella--she lost no time in opening it up in the house, walking around and saying "Tut, tut, look's like rain" (The Adventures of Winnie The Pooh)

My wife is a big fan of Lord of the Rings and has the DVD set. My daughter knows this and has asked numerous times if she can see the movie.

I always tell her no.

It's not just because of the violence.
I'm afraid she'll start speaking elvish.

Update::

This morning my daughter informed me that when she gets to be a big girl, she is never going to get sick.
I asked her, why not?

She replied: because I'm never going to work.

Neither my wife nor I have ever said at home that we're sick of work, but apparently somehow she got the idea.

Technorati Tag: .

4 comments:

AbbaGav said...

When you have to be really afraid is if you started understanding her elvish. I find that maintaining a carefully crafted layer of incomprehensibility between parent and child is quite helpful in many situations. (But not all of course. This really needs to be a one way street).

Does your daughter know that robots do exactly what they are told, immediately?

Soccer Dad said...

You don't think she's old enough to watch Boromir lop off the head of an orc?

Daled Amos said...

Does your daughter know that robots do exactly what they are told, immediately?

She's not old enough to read Asimov.

Daled Amos said...

You don't think she's old enough to watch Boromir lop off the head of an orc?

That part doesn't bother me--I've seen the condition her dolls are in.