Monday, October 30, 2006

The Revenge of the Birthday Gift

When I wrote my post about My Daughter's Birthday Party Gifts, I mentioned 3 gifts that I thought were a bit problematic.

But nothing prepared me for: The Revenge of the Birthday Gift.

It turned out that of all the gifts my daughter received, one--Aggravation--was one she already had. Yesterday, after finishing her book report, my daughter went with her mother to Toys-R-Us to exchange the gift--and I decided to stay home.

Big mistake.

Here is the gift my daughter talked my wife into buying:


That's right: My Bling Bling Barbie.

According to Wikipedia
:
"Bling-bling" (sometimes shortened to simply "bling") is a hip hop slang term which refers to expensive jewelry and other accoutrements, and also to an entire lifestyle built around excess spending and ostentation.
Oh.

So that's why the box is plastered with:
Life doesn't get any better than this
and
Get in on this super fab lifestyle
Lesson learned: next time my daughter goes shopping at the toy store, I go along.

And hope I'm better at saying 'no'.

No comments: